Configuring Patton SmartNode 4120, 4552, 4554, 4638, 4658 VoIP Gateways for 3CX Phone System
This 2 part guide firstly shows you how to configure 3CX Phone System to connect a Patton SmartNode VoIP Gateway. Once you have configured your 3CX Phone System you will be able to connect your Patton SmartNode to the network and import this configuration.
Important: This device must be upgraded to the latest firmware version. When requesting assistance, 3CX Support may ask you to upgrade to the latest firmware version available. This facilitates troubleshooting and escalation to the vendor’s support department when necessary.
To create the configuration:
Step 1: Configuring 3CX Phone System for use with the Patton SmartNode BRI Gateway<
1. Log on to the 3CX Management Console and Select “VoIP/PSTN Gateways” node, click “Add Gateway”
2. Assign a name to the Patton SN-4554 device, for example:Patton_SN4554
3. Select the device type – in this example we will assume: Patton SN-4554 2-port ISDN/BRI (Firmware R5.x)
4. Click the “Next” button.
5. From the “Country” drop-down menu, select the Country Tone Set that most closely matches that in use by the Telecoms Provider supplying the ISDN line.
6. From the “BRI Q921 Protocol” drop-down menu, select whether the type of connection provided by the Telecoms Provider is Point-To-Point or Point-To-Multipoint.
7. From the “BRI Q931 Protocol” drop-down menu, select the signaling protocol used by the Telecoms Provider supplying the ISDN line. This information can be obtained directly from the Telecoms Provider.
8. From the “Overlap dialing” drop-down menu, select whether to allow the ISDN protocol to deliver overlap dialing signals over an inbound call.
9. From the “Announcements” drop-down menu, select whether you would like to remove pre-call announcements. For most installations, you may safely leave the default setting “Deliver Announcements”.
10. Click the “Next” button.
11. In the field “Gateway Hostname or IP”, insert the IP Address that you would like the device to use when connected to the LAN for communication with 3CX Phone System. This must be a STATIC IP. Note that the Patton SN-4554 and the 3CX Phone System must reside inside the same LAN.
12. The “Number of ports” field is set by default to the number of ports available in the device.
13. Click the “Next ” button.
14. The “Create Ports” page allows you to configure each channel’s parameters, namely:
a. Virtual Extension Number
b. Authentication ID
c. Authentication Password
d. Number of simultaneous calls that the channel can handle
e. The Port Identification (External Number) of the channell
f. The destination of calls that are received by the channel – These values are pre-populated, but may be changed at this point. The configuration file will be generated using the parameters supplied in this page.
15. Click the “Next” button.
16. The “Create Outbound Rule” provides a quick and easy way to correctly configure a simple rule to allow outbound calls using the Patton SN-4554 device to deliver outbound calls. A simple starting point could be to use “0” as the prefix, and all extensions will be able to dial outbound via this rule. The other values are pre-populated, but may be changed at this point.
17. Click “Finish” (or “Skip” if you do not want to create an outbound rule). 3CX Phone System is now fully configured for the Patton SN-4554. You can now click the “Generate config file” button (you will need to provide the subnet mask of your LAN) to save to disk a file that will automatically configure the device with the settings provided above.
Step 2: Connect the SmartNode to the Network and Upload the Configuration File
The next step is to connect the Smartnode to the network and upload the 3CX Phone System generated configuration file. Please see this FAQ how to do this.